Are you drooling yet?
Hi friends! If you have jumped on the sourdough bandwagon like almost everyone else in 2020, you should be familiar with the term "discard" by now.
But gosh, seems like a waste. There are many things you can make with the discard from the feeding of your starter, but brownies seem like the best choice. Always.
Below is my easy recipe that I follow without fail every time.
You will need:
- 6-8 ounces of Dark Chocolate solids. I use Dove chocolate, which is about 8-9 squares. Maybe I ate one. This is a safe space.
- 1/4 cup of unsalted butter.
- 1/4 cup of veggie oil
- 2 large farm fresh eggs, and one egg white.
- 1/2 tsp salt, you DON'T have to add this if you used salted butter. I actually use salted butter and add salt. Risky.
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar.
- 1/2 cup of dark brown sugar. (Can substitute light brown, no problem)
- 2 tbsp water.
- 1 tsp vanilla extract.
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder.
- 1/2 cup plus a little dash of sourdough starter discard, 24 hours unfed, and room temperature is best.
Preheat your oven to 375 Degreed F.
Melt your chocolates and butter low and slow on the stove, and mix together all the rest of your ingredients. I don't follow rules and do this step in any particular order.
Bake in a glass pan, I used 9x12 for about 25-35 minutes. Ovens will vary.
Top with sea salt and ENJOY!